Construction of the first aerodrome started in the area of present Koltsovo Airport location.
The day when the Great Patriotic War broke out, grandiose construction of a hard-surface runway began on the Koltsovo aerodrome. The 1000 meter runway was built within a record-breaking period of three months. In October 1941, the Red Army Air Force Research Institute which was testing new types of jets was evacuated to Koltsovo.
July 10 is the day of establishment of the Koltsovo civil airport. The airport was subject to command of the North-East transport airline “Moscow-Welcal”. For the first time in this country’s history, the air forces and the civil fleet were united on a single base.
On December 28 a Sverdlovsk aviation enterprise split-up resulted in establishment of two joint stock companies AOOT ( Joint Stock Company) (now PAO — Joint Stock Company) Koltsovo Airport and AOOT Ural Airlines.
The airport large-scale reconstruction was carried out. Two new terminals, the air navigation complex, railway station, hotel and business complex, and catering unit were built, and the Business Aviation Terminal was reconstructed. After the new terminals commissioning, the passenger terminal area grew to 80 thousand sq. m., and the capacity doubled — up to 8 MIO passengers per year.